Image Map

Monday, February 18, 2013

In My Tummy

{newly created whole foods storage area!}
I've been putting lots of new things in my belly lately.  In addition to my own curiosity, Lent happened to coincide with V-Day AND my whole foods cooking class.  Thankfully, I  have had extensive support in my new cooking adventures and haven't had any extra time to wish longingly for any of the "junk" we gave up for Lent.  I've been channeling all of my extra time and energy into planning, soaking, and preparing our food.  And so far the process of knowing food instead of just eating it, has been really great.

A short list of some of the good things are: kale (*gasp*) and quinona (which reminds me of how a barn smells while the grains cook), beans and extra veggies.  I've even been eating MUSHROOMS.  *GASP*  I know folks, I know.  But don't worry -I'm still me just with a better tummy.  My class has provided me with a few vegan recipes that I've tried, including a nut cake dessert that tastes amazingly like key lime cheesecake with strawberry syrup.

I'd like to say that I'm resourceful enough to discover this all on my own.  But honestly -it's been a little overwhelming.  There is SO much to learn, so having recipes has been really nice.  It's allowed me to have a place to start instead of wandering around the whole foods world all by my lonesome.  Which is kind of how I feel walking around the co-op.  People are always so busy rushing up and down the isles that newbies (like yours truly) that want to take time to explore are left anxious and wide eyed.  Maybe that's just me...but... *shrug*  I always like to explore to know what I have available to me should I decide to be brave.  Not that I'm likely to be brave, but you never know.

Anyway -I digress...again.  So easily distracted...

Since I've started filling myself with these new tasties I've noticed a lessened need for tea (like -I NEED TEA NOW feelings have decreased) and caffeine in general, and since I'm literally making EVERYTHING from scratch we're eating SO much less salt and unnecessary carbohydrates.  I've also noticed all of the wonderful groups on FB catering to people like me.  People who want to learn and grow, and for me that's really nice!

So what are you putting in your tummy?  Are you trying anything new?

-XO-


B.

No comments:

Post a Comment